Saturday, March 15, 2008

9

I really just volunteered to participate in the carry to help Armen. I had read a bit about his project on the website and was intrigued. I wasn't sure what I would learn from it, but I didn't participate for that. I do know that in my life right now I am usually in charge and in control. Even in my family life I take charge and solve problems. So I became curious to see if I might learn something about letting go and being dependent on someone else.

Mostly, I was struck by how much the carry reminded me of being a child again. I guess my parents carried me like that a lot when I was small. I really enjoyed feeling like a kid. It was quite relaxing. I almost could have fallen asleep. We could have gone anywhere and I'd have ridden along.

I was also thinking about the physical closeness. I had a few friends react with surprise that I was going to ride on the back of some man I'd never met. I was never uncomfortable with that. Yet, I can be quite shy and was surprised how easily I was able to hold on tight to this fellow. There was an easy feeling of trust.

Finally, I walk that route every day to and from work. I always walk that way alone. Today I enjoyed more than simple companionship, but very close companionship. I also enjoyed seeing the sights I know so well from a taller perspective--things truly did look different. As I walk that way over the coming weeks I'm sure I'll be thinking more about this.

Nan Cumming
Munjoy Hill
Portland, Maine

No comments: